World cinema is flooded with different story titles at different times. When you see some of them, you are amazed at the imagination of the people who create those stories. There are many such stories in world cinema. Many of these films are based on novels. Movies can give life to novels’ unique storybooks. Among such films, The Father has attracted a lot of attention in recent times. The film even garnered special attention at the 2020 Academy Awards. Today we brought you an article about The Father movie which won the love of a very high audience.
Summary of The Father movie
IMDB – 8.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes – 98%
Google Users – 89%
Facebook – 4.5/5
Anne visits her father Anthony in his flat after he becomes belligerent with his recent caregiver. He has dementia and constantly forgets important life events and where things are around his flat, including his watch. He tells Anne he believes his caregiver stole his watch and that he will never move out of his flat. She tells Anthony she is moving to Paris to be with a man, which confuses Anthony since he doesn’t recall any men in her life since the end of her marriage to James. Anne says that if he keeps refusing to have a caregiver, she will have to move him into a nursing home.
What Will Happend Next??
The next day, Anthony sees an unknown man, Paul, and is confused by him being in his flat. Paul states that Anthony lives with him and Anne. Anne returns for dinner and appears as a different woman, confusing Anthony again. Anne schedules an interview with a new caregiver, Laura. Anthony tells Laura he was a professional dancer and also that he doesn’t need any assistance. He later says Laura reminds him of his other daughter Lucy, whom he hasn’t talked to for months for reasons he is unaware of.
Father is taken to a doctor and asked about his memory. He claims he has no memory problems. Later, he tells Laura how proud he is of Lucy, a painter. She tells him she is sorry about Lucy’s accident, which Anthony is unaware of. Over the course of the film, it is revealed that Anthony has really been living in Anne and Paul’s flat for years, but believes he still lives in his own flat. After Anne comes home, she and Paul have an argument over a canceled holiday to Italy due to Anthony’s earlier behavior towards the caregiver, and about Anne’s sacrifices for her father. Paul asks Anthony how long he plans to stay in their flat and annoys everyone, after which Paul slaps him.
The End of The Father Movie
Anthony wakes up and walks out of the flat, finding himself in a hospital hallway. He remembers Lucy lying in a hospital bed with blood on her face. He then wakes up in a completely different bedroom. It is in a nursing home. His nurse, Catherine, informs him Anne has moved to Paris with Paul and visits on occasional weekends. Another nurse, Bill, also visits. Anthony has an emotional breakdown over his inability to understand what is happening to him, as well as Anne’s disappearance. He says he wants his mother and that he is “losing his leaves, the branches, the wind, and the rain”. Catherine comforts him and tells him she’ll take him out to the park later.
The Father Movie – Actors and Staff
Actors and actresses
Many world-renowned artists joined the cast of the film. Meanwhile, Anthony Hopkins was a very special character. Due to his successful acting ability, he was nominated for many awards through this film. The contribution of other actors was also very high. That is why this film was able to be at the forefront of the most successful and quality films of 2020.
Anthony Hopkins – Anthony
Olivia – Colman – Anne
Rufus Sewell – Paul
Imogen Poots – Lucy / Laura
Olivia Williams – Catherine / Laura / Anne
Mark Gatiss – Bill / Paul
Ayesha Dharker – Dr. Sarai
The crew of any successful film is very special. As a result of their many sacrifices, very successful films are made. The film had such a great staff. They showed exceptional talent and made this film a successful and quality film. The film is directed by Florian Zeller. He and Christopher Hampton wrote the screenplay for the film.
- Director – Florian Zeller
- Screen Writer – Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton
- Producer – David Parfitt, Jean Louis Livi, Philippe Carcassonne, Christophe Spadone, Simon Friend
- Cinematographer – Ben Smithard
- Editor – Yorgos Lamprinos
- Music Composer -Ludovico Einaudi
The film won a number of awards over the past year due to its high-quality design. The film and its actors have been recommended more than 80 times. That is why this film is a unique film. Meanwhile, the film won several Academy Awards, including Best Actor at the 2020 Oscars. Here are some of the awards the film won:
- AACTA International Awards – Best International Supporting Actress – Olivia Colman
- AARP’s Movie for Grownups Awards – Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins
- Academy Awards – Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins
- Academy Awards – Best Adapted Screenplay – Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton
- British Academy Film Awards – Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins
- The British Academy Film Awards – Best Adapted Screenplay – Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton
- British Independent Film Awards – Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins
- The British Independent Film Awards – Best Screenplay – Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton
- British Independent Film Awards – Best Editor – Yorgos Lamprinos
- Boston Society of Film Critics Awards – Best New Filmmaker – Florian Zeller
- Boston Society of Film Critics Awards – Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins
- Cinefest Sudbury International Film Festival – Audience Choice Award
- Florida Film Critics Circle Awards – Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins
- Goya Awards – Best European Film – Florian Zeller
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards – Best Editor – Yorgos Lamprinos
- San Diego Film Critics Society Awards – Best Screenplay – Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton
- San Sebastian International Film Festival – Audience Award
- Satellite Awards Best Adapted Screenplay – Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton
- Telluride Film Festival – Silver Medallion Award – Anthony Hopkins
- Toronto International Film Festival – Tribute Award – Anthony Hopkins
- Zurich Film Festival – Golden Eyes Award – Olivia Colman
The film was distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures Classics, Lionsgate, and UGC Distribution. The film was first released at the Sundance Film Festival on January 27, 2020, and was released on May 26, 2021, in France and June 11, 2021, in the United States. The total running time is 97 minutes and is available in both French and English. The film grossed $ 6 million but grossed $ 23.7 million. The film is considered to be one of the most successful films of 2020.